Burnley College Sixth Form Centre Tutors shortlisted in ‘Oscars of Education’
Two inspirational and highly-motivated Burnley College Sixth Form Centre Tutors have been shortlisted in the finals of this year’s prestigious Pearson National Teaching Awards, known as ‘the Oscars of Education’.
Mazar Iqbal, a successful A Level Computer Science Tutor, is a finalist in the Further Education Lecturer of the Year category. He has been recognised by judges for:
- his focus on each and every student as an individual
- the additional, tailored academic support he gives to all his students
- his passion for ensuring all his students are ‘industry ready’ with the skills and knowledge to solve complex, real-life IT problems through work placements
- being a true evangelist for the wider benefits of his subject across College and the community.
Ben Whitaker, a leader in the College’s forward-thinking Division of Creative Industries and Computing, is shortlisted for the keenly-contested Digital Innovator of the Year Award. Ben is recognised as a Tutor who:
- constantly pushes the boundaries of his own knowledge and innovation through continuous professional development
- proactively assists colleagues to identify, define and overcome digital hurdles they face and improve the student experience
- uses his expertise as a Google Certified Trainer – and Innovator – to offer digital training opportunities to more than 1,000 students as part of College development days
- ensures students are equipped with the skills and knowledge valued by employers.
Principal of Burnley College Sixth Form Centre Karen Buchanan said:
“Congratulations to both Maz and Ben on their amazing achievement in reaching this stage of the Pearson Teaching Awards and being recognised as among the very best in the country. At Burnley College we are truly committed to building futures and changing lives and it is through the expertise, the innovation and the passion of our Tutors that we make this happen.
“Both Maz and Ben epitomise all that is great about the Tutors at Burnley College- they inspire, motivate and are dedicated to bringing the very best out of every individual students, empowering them to go forward and achieve their goals – whether that is degree-level study at some of the UK’s top universities or successful careers in their chosen sectors
“The influence of a good tutor lasts a lifetime. In Maz and Ben – and all the Tutors at Burnley College Sixth Form Centre – we have staff who, every day, go above and beyond to provide the best possible education for every single student.”
The Pearson National Teaching Awards are an annual celebration of exceptional teachers and recognise the life-changing impact an inspirational teacher can have on those they teach. Known as the Oscars of Education, the Awards are announced in October and are broadcast on TV.
If you want to study at Burnley College Sixth Form Centre and take advantage of innovative and inspirational teaching, plus the very best individualised support from Tutors who are truly passionate about their subjects and seeing you succeed, visit www.burnley.ac.uk, email email@example.com or call 01282 733373.