Home / University / Health and Social Care


Follow your vocation into a rewarding career in Health and Social Care where you can really make a difference.


Louise Meloy, using degree-level study at BCUC to train for her dream career

Say Yes to being a Healthcare Hero

Louise Meloy’s Foundation Entry Degree in Counselling and Psychotherapy allowed her to Say Yes to an exciting new career as a Paramedic.


Courses for careers in Health or Social Care

You can study for your full degree at BCUC or choose Foundation Degree or Foundation Entry which can give you the grounding and study skills you need to progress to a specialist course at another North West university to gain any additional, specific qualifications required in your chosen career.



Science Teacher – Oliver Forrest


Midwife – Saidia Illima


Social Care Manager – Christopher Veevers


Adult Nurse – Lauren Dearlove


Paramedic – Emma Metcalfe


We are here to support you every step of the way

From selecting the correct course for you, to help in completing your application; from Student Finance guidance, to academic advice and health and wellbeing care. We have a team of friendly, expert advisors dedicated to your success.

Get in touch

My Foundation Entry degree at Burnley College University Courses opened the door to my dream career as a Paramedic

Louise Meloy, BCUC graduate

Functional Skills Maths and English, Adult Learning at Burnley College > Foundation Entry Counselling and Psychotherapy, BCUC > Paramedic Practice at Edge Hill University



What qualifications do I need to study at BCUC?

You don’t need A Levels or Level 3 qualifications to embark on degree-level study at BCUC. You can start a Foundation Entry degree with a Level 2 qualification.

We take into account your life experience (including your work history) in offering you a place and work closely with our colleagues at Adult Learning at Burnley College to find the perfect route into university study for you if needed.

Everyone is different. Email [email protected] to arrange a one-to-one discussion of your options or visit our our Adult Learning pages HERE.


Can I work and study at the same time?

Yes! On some courses, elements of work placement are necessary to complete your qualification and you could potentially do this in your own workplace as part of your current role.

A full-time degree-level programme can mean two/three days per week on Campus over the academic year and can be studied alongside your current role. A part-time degree-level programme could be potentially a day or an evening on Campus each week over the academic year but takes longer to achieve.


I am not sure that I can afford degree-level study – can you help?

University-level study is more affordable than you may think. You can access a Student Finance loan to cover the cost of your course and do not need to pay anything back until you earn more than £2,214 a month (before tax).

We can also give you information on eligibility for the Burnley Bursary (worth up to £2,000 a year) and any additional benefits or support packages to which you may be entitled.


I haven’t been in education for some time – how will I cope?

At Burnley College University Courses we understand that returning to study may be daunting. Throughout your course you will have access to specialist, one-to-one individual academic advice from specialist Lecturers and advisors, as well as seminars and workshops to take part in ahead of your course starting.


Don’t forget to follow us on social media! @BurnleyCollege

Your first steps to becoming something different.