Sport and fitness students at Burnley College Sixth Form Centre are discovering more about the subjects they love and the opportunities available for university-level study or careers in the industries through a packed programme of trips and visits.
Expert Tutors, many with a background in professional sport and fitness, have carefully selected the activities to enhance the experience and learning of students who are taking Advanced Vocational Sport and A Level Physical Education courses.
Trips and activities over this academic year, since September, have included:
- Visits to both Manchester United’s and Manchester City’s home grounds to discover more about the facilities and staff required for a football club to operate at the highest level
- A visit to the National Football Museum to put current studies in context with the development of the game
- A trip to Rock and River Outdoor Adventure to help with team building and to experience a wide variety of outdoor pursuits
- Visits to Burnley’s St Peter’s Centre to study the importance of sport and fitness in a community setting and exploring methods of encouraging physical activity
- Use of the high-tech Performance Lab at Fitness Evolution, the award-winning fitness centre based on the Burnley College £100 million town centre Campus, learning how to use the specialist equipment, including the VO2 Max Testing, and apply the data recorded
- Regular use of the Fitness Evolution climbing wall to increase strength and fitness, while embedding an understanding of health and safety in sport
- Observations of A Licence coaches – the highest practical coaching qualification offered by UEFA – to pick up good practice and encourage continuous development
- Working with gifted and talented British Cycling athletes to discover more about the mindset and physical demands of competing at the highest level in sport
- Coaching sessions with a Youth World Championship level snooker player to understand more about the wide variety of sports and the discipline needed to win.
These exciting trips are in addition to the College’s highly successful Academy of Sport and Elite Athlete programmes which allow students to access professional coaching; compete at a high level in local, regional, national and international competitions; access expert strength and conditioning coaching; use Fitness Evolution’s state-of-the-art fitness testing lab; and additional specialist trips and visits.
Simon Jordan, Deputy Principal of Burnley College Sixth Form Centre, said:
“We’re proud to be leading the way with exciting, individually-tailored programmes for those students who are passionate about turning their love of sport or fitness into a career – whether that’s as a professional athlete or in the ever-growing sport and fitness industries. There’s also an opportunity for students to take their learning to the highest level, too, through the great range of university degree courses we’re offering in Burnley.
“By ensuring that students get out of the classroom to undertake a wide variety of trips and visits and take part in different sports, we are giving them the experience that will make them stand out from the crowd when applying to university or in a job interview. The visits are also instrumental in helping many students decide on a career path that is ideal for them, from physiotherapy to sports coaching or marketing for the sports industry to personal training.
“All our Tutors are passionate about Sport and Fitness and many have enjoyed professional careers in these industries before coming into teaching. They use the determination and commitment that seen them succeed in their chosen sport to Burnley College Sixth Form Centre and channel it into ensuring our Sports and Fitness students get the best experience.
“As a College, we are constantly listening to our students: we add in trips, visits and activities which they have asked for to enhance their learning experience. We’re already scheduling opportunities for students to build their nationally-recognised coaching qualifications and planning more exciting trips including a visit to the English Institute of Sport and Manchester Velodrome, plus an overseas residential visit to sports-based holiday camp Club La Santa in Lanzarote.”
Do you share our passion for Sport and Fitness? Find the perfect course for you after your GCSEs by emailing email@example.com or calling 01282 733373.